Need help giving up smoking? Can you help others? This is where you can find help dealing with cravings, where you can discuss advance plans for dealing with difficult situations or general advice about staying smoke free.
#137 by dave
Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:18 pm
Hi,

I think it would be a good idea to include something to help people wean off NRT - and possibly e-cigarettes. The challenge is that for NRT to be successful it needs to be taken as directed. Which means that we'd need people to enter details of their particular treatment regime rather than doing the work for them.

All doable of course. But not for a little while I'm afraid. We're coming to the end of the first experiment and need to keep the app unchanged until that's complete.

Well done on starting your quit, all the best that this time it's permanent.

Dave
#144 by slipperysoap
Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:10 pm
I like this app but it asks in the diary if you have had a cigarette, when you press "yes" why doesnt it reset like your starting over.
#149 by Huff'n'Puff
Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:06 pm
Yes I was expecting the same when I fell off the wagon. Would be better if the counters and stats reset when you click 'yes'. It would take away that sense of achievement you get from them, and probably give you the incentive to try again.
#274 by alj1991
Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:44 am
After asking if you have smoked since last login a place to input how many. And times. Might help show a pattern.
#275 by dave
Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:21 am
We don't automatically reset the counters if you say that you've smoked as we think that decision is up to you. It might be this was a lapse you feel really bad about and won't repeat, in which case resetting the counters could be, er, counterproductive in terms of your self-belief. If you do decide you want to reset your quit date (and all the counters accordingly) we offer that option if you select Yes, I smoked, in the diary.

Ultimately, I think we need to look at the evidence to see the relationship between lapses and the return to smoking. And/or run an experiment to see if resetting the counters automatically helps more people quit.

Both the iOS and Android apps now have a place for indicating how many you've smoked (although we've only rolled out the Android app to a small percentage of users in order to test whether it's buggy or not). We could definitely add more details about where and when as that might indicate patterns.
#276 by GBS
Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:12 pm
hi all,
I absolutely agree with alj1991 (actually I wanted to suggest similar).
If you DON'T work even a few 'sneaked in cigs' into the overall calculations, then you're working with FUDGED FIGURES - NOT very 'scientific'...!
There's no need to reset all to zero - I' ve smoked for over 44 years, with a 45/day habit, so coming down to 19 cigs in total over the past 8 days is - for me - a huge achievement, a reset would destroy that feeling. But if the app cannot work with ACTUAL habits during "giving up', then it's basically dishonest research - why force us to use a separate Smoke Log instead :oops: of making THIS app BETTER?!
#277 by tcarson1
Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:37 am
I agree, this is a clean time calander with a few bells and whistles but basically useless for me. I have smoked a pack a day for 40 years with intermittent times of abstinence from smoking. A more practical tool would include reduction, slips, and relapse of use. If you come up with that feature I believe it would go viral here in the United State for other undesirable behaviors and addictions :idea such as opiates. :idea:
#278 by dave
Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:00 am
Apologies for the delay getting back to you, I wanted to give this some thought.

One thing I need to say first is that this is not an app for people looking to taper their smoking to zero. The evidence suggests that cutting down is not a strategy that works for most people; what works better is a clean stop, a quit date when you say 'that's it, no more'. Obviously this may not be true for you and indeed doing without some of the cigarettes you generally smoke is an achievement. However, we are an evidence-based app and need to be directed by what the evidence tells us is best.

Having said that, I think we could make the dashboard figures more accurate by adding a new panel "Time since quit date". This would show the amount of time that has elapsed since your quit started, whilst the "Time Smoke Free" panel would display the amount of time since you last recorded a smoke. Would that help? Happy to hear ideas you've got if not.

BTW, we ask about recent smoking at the one month and three month follow-up questionnaires and use that to determine whether our techniques have helped people quit. We don't use the figures from the dashboard as you're right, it would be inaccurate to do so.
#342 by MasterBlaze
Mon May 23, 2016 3:20 pm
Hi,
I agree, this is a clean time calander with a few bells and whistles but basically useless for me. I have smoked a pack a day for 40 years with intermittent times of abstinence from smoking. A more practical tool would include reduction, slips, and relapse of using smoking pipes. If you come up with that feature I believe it would go viral here in the United State for other undesirable behaviors and addictions :idea such as opiates. :idea: possibly a percolator bong store. Just my two cents.

Dave

I agree, there are a few things that could be added but as it is right now works really well.